As the weather is beginning to cool, residents are starting to rely on their space heaters once again. While these compact heaters may seem like an excellent way to stay comfortable, they pose a risk to you and your home. According to All Care Restorations, a top fire restoration service in Lincoln, NE, space heaters are responsible for a large number of house fires.
The best way to prevent a fire is to know what causes them. Take a look at some of the common culprits below:
Using Too Much Electricity: Because of the size of a space heater, many believe the item does not require much energy to function. However, these devices pull a lot of electricity—so much so that those who rely on extension chords run a higher risk of starting a fire. This is because many chords are not capable of channeling such high amounts of electricity. Instead, always plug your heater directly into the wall. Unplug when not in use.
Igniting Flammable Objects: Space heaters have the capability to get extremely warm. Thus, it is imperative that users keep away all items that are flammable. This includes blankets, sweaters, curtains, and furniture. All of these items made from fabric have a high possibility of igniting. According to a professional fire restoration service, a piece of clothing sitting too close to the device is one of the greatest threats to your home.
Using Them Improperly: Remember, a space heater is meant to assist your HVAC system in warming up a room. They are not intended to de-thaw, dry, or heat an entire house throughout the cold nights. Improper use of the machines can lead to over-heating, malfunction, and potentially a house fire. If you are to use a space heater in your home, run it for only an hour or two at a time.
Space heaters can be useful to warm a room, but when used carelessly, they can be a major fire hazard. If your home has suffered a fire, consider All Care Restorations for the clean-up. Not only do they provide fire restoration but also emergency water damage services and even smoke damage restoration, as well. For more information, visit their website or call (402) 421-3779 today.