Kayaking is one of the more family-friendly paddling activities anyone can enjoy. It’s easy to learn, simple to maneuver, and safe to operate. For a unique and unforgettable kayaking experience, Tsue’s Farm in Haleiwa, HI, is situated perfectly next to the Anahulu River, full of scenic views of nature that would be an adventure for the whole family. However, before you jump in a kayak, it’s imperative to learn how to keep you and your family safe.
Here, Tsue’s Farm offers five safety tips for the best kayaking trip:
- Take a Lesson: Despite its simplicity, there are ways to make your experience easier based on how you sit and paddle. Before you rent kayaks on your own, taking a lesson with an experienced guide will ensure you of the basics and safety precautions, especially if it’s your first time or you want kayaking to be a regular family activity.
- Wear a Life Jacket: No matter how experienced you are in kayaking, it’s always safer to wear a life jacket. Kayaks are usually very stable and secure once you’re seated, but having a life jacket is an extra precaution in case it capsizes.
- Go in a Pair or Group: While kayaking alone can be a peaceful and refreshing activity, it isn’t the safest thing to do. Going in pairs or group ensures someone will be there in case anyone needs help. It’s also fun to learn as a group versus on your own.
- Be Mindful of Wildlife: Encountering wild creatures in or along the river is an exhilarating experience. However, animals are sensitive to different types of stressors, including loud noises. Please be mindful of their habitat and enjoy their presence as quietly as possible.
- Stay Protected & Hydrated: Most likely you’ll be having fun kayaking for a long period—a classic invitation for sunburn and dehydration. Make sure you lather on the sunscreen and keep a bottle of water on hand, so you don’t return with regrets.
It isn’t every day that people get to enjoy Hawaii’s wildlife and animals, especially ones in a farm or next to a long, winding river. Kayaking at Tsue’s Farm is one of the most memorable experiences your family will enjoy. For more information on the activities they offer, visit their website or call them at (808) 744-5428. Make kayaking a family event you’ll want to do again and again.