Even though 48 million Americans have significant hearing loss, many wait an average of seven years before seeking help. When it doesn’t occur at birth, the signs can show up suddenly. They can also advance slowly throughout the years, presenting themselves as subtle changes that might go unnoticed.
If you experience any of these symptoms, you might be experiencing hearing loss:
- Constantly Asking Others to Repeat Themselves: It’s normal not to catch everything that’s said during a conversation. However, if you find yourself asking someone to repeat themselves often, you might benefit from the assistance of hearing aids.
- Loud Volumes on TV or Radio: Do people often comment on how loud your music or movie is? If you find it difficult to hear what’s being said unless the volume is turned up extremely high, your hearing might be worsening.
- Ringing in Your Ears: Tinnitus, known as ringing in the ears, affects 50 million people. This audiological and neurological condition creates the perception of sound when there’s no external noise present. Nearly all people that suffer from tinnitus also suffer from hearing loss.
- Trouble Focusing on What’s Being Said: Do you have difficulty following any conversation when more than two people are talking or when sitting in a crowded room? Hearing loss doesn’t just involve the ability to detect external noises. Symptoms include difficulties translating sounds into understandable words, especially when you’re surrounded by competing noise.
- Fatigue From Straining During Conversations: After a day of speaking with others, you might find yourself mentally and physically drained from struggling to hear and follow conversations. If you’re experiencing frequent headaches or another form of fatigue, it might be time for a hearing test.
Don’t be one of the 15 million Americans that avoid seeking help for hearing loss. For 43 years, Valu Hearing Services has provided residents of Jamestown, NY, hearing tests and state-of-the-art hearing aids. Owned and operated by Peter and Diane Lumia, this duo is passionate about improving communication and enhancing every patient’s quality of life. Head online to learn more about services such as hearing aid evaluations, counseling, repairs and cleaning, and call (716) 484-7777 to schedule a hearing test.