If you own land with a private well, you may not know the precautions to take to maintain a clean water supply, especially if you’ve recently moved and haven’t owned a well in the past. Fortunately, the water well maintenance professionals at Kuser Well Drilling in Canton, PA, understand how preventive care will cost homeowners less money in the long run.
Below, they offer seven tips for maintaining your well and water supply:
- Get a Yearly Water Well Maintenance Check: Your professional checkup should include a test for bacteria. Have your water source checked any time you notice a change in taste, odor, or appearance. The National Ground Water Association (NGWA) recommends you never attempt to service your well yourself, as you risk introducing bacteria and contaminants into your water if you aren’t trained to provide the service.
- Store Chemicals Properly: Never store chemicals such as paint, pesticides, motor oil, or fertilizer near your well. These materials can seep out of their containers and find their way into your water supply.
- Check the Cover: Periodically inspect the cap or cover to make sure it doesn’t need repair.
- Avoid Back-Siphoning: Don’t put your hose inside a tank or container that includes pesticides or any other chemicals.
- Allow for Drainage: Slope the earth away from the well so water drains properly.
- Keep the Area Clean: Be careful not to damage your casing when mowing your lawn or landscaping near your well. Remove snow and leaf buildup from around the casing.
- Seal Up the Old One: A properly maintained well will usually last more than 20 years. However, when it is time to have yours replaced, make sure a qualified professional seals it off after constructing your new one.
For water well maintenance or repair, trust the professionals at Kuser Well Drilling. They have offered Bradford County, PA, affordable expertise since 1968. Call them today at (570) 673-8189 to schedule an appointment, and check out their website to learn more about their inspection and installation services.