In today’s day and age, many of us have already figured out how to protect ourselves and prevent catching STDs and HIV, and yet year after year there are new cases of infections sprouting up all across the country. At CityMD, we aim to inform the public about the reality of sexually transmitted diseases and the HIV virus. Read on to learn some facts about both.
- Most often spread through sexual intercourse (as the name suggests)
- Most common types include Chlamydia, Genital Herpes, Genital Warts, Gonorrhea, and Syphilis
- Affect around 19 million men and women every year
- Infection can spread through anal, oral, and vaginal intercourse
- Over 65 million people in this country have an incurable STD
- Works by infecting cells within the immune system
- Makes it more difficult for your body to fight off diseases and infections
- Can be transmitted through unsafe sex, contaminated blood transfusions, shared needles and syringes, and through childbirth
- Around 35 million people are living with HIV across the globe
- Nearly 40 million people have died from AIDs-related complications
Though these statistics may feel overwhelming and scary, there are some easy ways to prevent contracting an STD or HIV. First off, use condoms every time you engage in intercourse. Next, try to limit the number of partners you sleep with. Lastly, make sure to get tested and also have your partner get tested as well. By taking these simple steps, you can significantly reduce your risk of infection and ensure that both you and your partner are safe.
For general inquiries, questions, comments, and more, find our contact info here. We look forward to answering all of your queries and ensuring that you’re armed with all the info you need to stay healthy and protected. If you think you might have an STD and need immediate care, visit your local CityMD walk in clinic. No appointment necessary!