Wahoo, Nebraska

Nebraska Attorneys Answer Frequently Asked Questions About Probate August 22, 2017

Wahoo, Saunders
Nebraska Attorneys Answer Frequently Asked Questions About Probate , Wahoo, Nebraska

Nebraska probate attorneys often receive questions about the process, what it is, and how to avoid it. At The Law Offices of Bromm, Lindahl, Freeman-Caddy & Lausterer in Wahoo, NE, experienced estate planning attorneys clarify uncertainties and help individuals make decisions about how to distribute their assets after they pass away.

Below, these skilled lawyers answer a few frequently asked questions about probate:

What Is Probate?

probate Probate is the process of administering a deceased person’s estate. If an individual leaves a last will and testament, it is offered for authentication, and the terms are carried out. When no will exists, the probate court appoints an administrator to distribute any assets.

What Happens to Assets When Someone Passes Away Without a Will?

Passing away without a will is called dying intestate. Nebraska has intestate succession laws that state the order of distributing the deceased person’s estate assets, which may go to a surviving spouse or other relatives. Drafting a will allows an individual to control who receives their possessions and when they are distributed.

Do Young Parents Need Wills?

Wills are the only way for parents of minors to designate guardians. Parents can provide provision for the care and financial support of their kids by creating testamentary trusts and name trustees to administer the assets until the children are capable of handling their inheritances.

Is a Will the Only Way to Distribute Property?

Individuals can pass property without wills and avoid probate by designating beneficiaries. Assets such as bank accounts, life insurance policies, and pension benefits can pass to named beneficiaries upon an owner’s death.

Spouses often decide to hold title to real estate in joint tenancy with right of survivorship. When one spouse passes away, the property passes to the surviving spouse automatically without probate.

If you’d like to discuss probate and estate planning with a seasoned attorney, the professionals at The Law Offices of Bromm, Lindahl, Freeman-Caddy & Lausterer offer extensive experience in the field. Founded in 1893, they have evolved to stay up-to-date and are rated highly as a firm. Visit them online now to learn more about their practice, and call (402) 443-3225 to schedule your consultation appointment today.

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from The Law Offices of Bromm, Lindahl, Freeman-Caddy & Lausterer
What to Know About Choosing an Executor for Your Will, Wahoo, Nebraska
During the estate planning process, one of the most important tasks you’ll need to accomplish is naming an executor for your will. To ensure the best person is chosen ...read more
3 Tips for Choosing a Guardian for Your Children, Wahoo, Nebraska
Thinking about who should take guardianship of your children should something happen to you and your spouse is an uncomfortable topic, but it's an essential plan for an unpredictable...read more
4 Steps in the Civil Litigation Process , Wahoo, Nebraska
Legal disputes between people, businesses, and government entities arise every day. If the parties involved are unable to reach a settlement or agree on another way to reso...read more
How to Create a Living Will , Wahoo, Nebraska
While most of us don’t want to think about the future after our own passing, it can sometimes be harder to contemplate a scenario where we don’t die but just become incapacitated in ...read more
What Are 1031 Exchanges?, Wahoo, Nebraska
Whether you’ve been renting out apartments for years or are just dipping your toes into the investment property pool, the details of real estate law can quickly become ...read more