So you’re a massage newbie…relax! There’s no need to stress about the process. Massages are meant to be rejuvenating and calming. But you may have a few questions about the what to expect, so to prepare for your first massage, the experts at Oasys Day Spa in Wood-Ridge, NJ, are here to provide answers and put your mind at ease, so that you can lay back and enjoy the benefits of massage therapy.
- What Should I Expect Before the Session Begins? The staff at the day spa will ask you to fill out a form about your health history, current physical condition, and any medications you’re currently taking. Be honest and let your massage therapist know about any issues, even if they’re minor. In addition, this is your opportunity to voice your concerns and goals for the session. You’ll be asked what type of massage you’d like and what areas of your body the therapist should focus on.
- Should I Undress Completely? This is entirely up to you and may depend on the type of massage you’re getting. For a full-body massage, removing all clothing is common, although some people prefer to leave their underwear on. You should remove only as much clothing as you’re comfortable with. During the massage, the therapist will use drapes to cover sensitive areas, so you’ll never be fully exposed.
- Do Massages Hurt? In general, a massage should feel good, but sometimes, depending on the type treatment (for example, deep tissue massage), the feeling may cross over into pain. However, the perceived pain should be a “good pain” rather than a “bad pain.” If the feeling becomes unbearable, let your therapist know, and she or he can make adjustments.
- Is It OK to Talk During the Session? Again, this is up to you, but remember that the goal of most spa treatments is relaxation, which can be difficult to achieve if you’re not focused on the experience. A massage is an excellent time to let your mind enjoy some peace and quiet.
- Are Tips Expected? As with most personal services, tipping is the norm. Of course, tips are never required, but if you’re happy and satisfied with your massage, a tip for the therapist will be appreciated. A 15% to 20% tip is standard.
Now that you’ve had your questions answered, it’s time to make an appointment for your first massage! Call Oasys Day Spa at (201) 728-4212 to book a massage or spa package, or visit their website to view their collection of services.