Accidents happen. Whether your puppy can't control himself or your cat goes to the bathroom somewhere other than her litter box, there is an easy way to get rid of the smell. Although you can purchase expensive cleaning solutions from any pet store, experts at Carpet Cleaning by Cummins, a family business based in Seguin, TX, suggest this simple step-by-step process to remove the smell of pet urine from your carpet.
Here are five carpet cleaning steps to get the smell out using items you already have around your house:
- Take Care of the Excess: First, take a cloth or some paper towels, and try to blot as much of the excess as you can from the carpet.
- Scrub It Out: Fill a small bowl with water, and mix in a small amount of soap. Any liquid dish detergent or hand soap will do. Using another cloth, scrub the area with the solution.
- Make a Paste: In another small bowl, mix a few tablespoons of baking soda, a teaspoon of vinegar, and a cup or two of water. Stir until the paste is well-mixed, and apply it to the soiled area. Leave the paste to dry, preferably overnight.
- Check Your Progress: Depending on how large an area was soiled or how long it’s been soiled, you may need to repeat steps two and three once more. If the smell appears to have dissipated, continue onto step five.
- Clean Up: Once you’ve allowed the paste to sit long enough to dry, vacuum up the baking soda from the carpet. Although the smell of vinegar may linger for a day or two, the pet urine smell will be gone.
From pet stain removal to tile and grout cleaning, Carpet Cleaning by Cummins does it all. They offer both commercial and residential cleaning, including upholstery and window cleaning, as well as pressure washing. You can call (830) 379-3383 to schedule an appointment, or visit the website to check out the full list of services.