Pants alterations are a precise science, and when done correctly, they can transform ordinary trousers into the perfect pair. The key is finding an experienced custom tailor who knows how to modify pants, so they fit just right. Well-dressed New York City residents count on Wo’s Custom Tailoring on Manhattan’s Upper East Side because their services are backed by decades of experience in the garment industry.
Here, the shop’s skilled team shares some insider secrets on how they achieve a flawless fit with every alteration they perform:
- Perfect the Waistline: Many people find that the pants they buy off the rack don’t fit properly because mass-market garments are made to fit a variety of body types. With professional tailoring, you can achieve the perfect fit, so your pants won’t fall down or feel too snug.
- Hug the Right Places: Loose material in the hips and seat can have an unflattering effect. Even loose-fitting pants should have some shape to them, so an experienced tailor will work to refine the style and ensure it showcases your physique.
- Alter the Rise: The rise is the distance between the top of your pants’ waistband and the middle of the crotch seam. If it is too long, the fabric will bunch when you sit down and may look awkward when you stand up again. Alterations in this area create a more comfortable feel and attractive fit whether you are sitting or standing.
- Hem the Bottoms: Off-the-rack pants rarely fall at the desired spot. In most cases, they are too long and need to be taken up. However, if you’re tall, you may need to have the legs lengthened. Leaving this task to a professional tailor ensures the bottoms of your pants will be stitched in place securely, protecting the material.
- Taper the Legs: If you prefer the look of slimmer pants, you may want to have the legs tapered. If you need to have the pants hemmed, tapering is often necessary to preserve the garment’s shape.
No matter how tall you are or what your body type is, the team at Wo’s Custom Tailoring will perform alterations that make your pants fit beautifully. To learn more about their tailoring services, call (212) 988-9889. Visit their website to see samples of their work.