Sometimes it’s obvious. You have been sued for damages in a civil suit or accused of a criminal act and become acutely aware of the need for professional legal advice. Other times, determining your legal needs can be far less obvious. The fact is that legal counsel is often desirable, even critical, in scenarios that have little to do with a crime or court action. So how do you determine when a lawyer is necessary? The answer will ultimately depend on the situation at hand. Focusing on criminal, family, DUI, and civil litigation, John L. Tackett Attorney at Law in Lexington, KY, will provide you with the legal advice and guidance you need to make an informed decision.
Common scenarios where you may require a lawyer include:
- Contracts: Any agreement, written or oral, involving the exchange of something valued in return for goods or services rendered may be enforceable and binding. In general, you should avoid oral agreements. A written agreement should be either examined or prepared by a lawyer prior to signing.
- Change in Personal Status: Moving to a new state, the birth or adoption of a child, and marriage may result in different or entirely new personal and legal responsibilities. Your lawyer can help you prepare for and meet new obligations, including those requiring written legal documents.
- Will & Estate Plans: Preparing and drafting a will is a complex legal matter. Your lawyer can help plan your estate in a manner that will be more advantageous to you and your family. A knowledgeable estate attorney can also organize your finances to ensure additional savings with regard to taxes and estate costs.
- Organizing a Business: A lawyer can provide valuable aid during the business formation stages alongside ongoing support regarding employment law, immigration issues, workplace safety, and intellectual property rights.
- Criminal Prosecution: If you are ever questioned about or accused of a criminal act, you should contact a criminal defense attorney immediately.
If you still have questions or require legal advice, John L. Tackett Attorney at Law is the lawyer to call. Contact his Lexington office at (859) 252-8360 or stop by the website to learn more about his services.