Most people are aware that consuming too much coffee, sugary drinks, or red wine can adversely affect your teeth—but did you know that some foods can actually aid in teeth whitening? To promote a beautiful, healthy smile that will last a lifetime, the exceptional team of dentists at Preferred Dental Care Chelsea recommends adding a healthy helping of the following foods to your diet:
- Strawberries: Many people assume that strawberries will stain your teeth, but they actually contain malic acid, which removes unsightly discoloration.
- Any kind of seeds or nuts: The abrasive texture of seeds and nuts rubs off plaque and stains that your toothbrush can’t handle.
- Apples: The texture of apples strengthen gums and polishes teeth, while the water content stimulates saliva production, which is a natural mouth cleanser.
- Carrots and celery: Like apples, both celery and carrots contain a great deal of water, which stimulates saliva and helps wash away food debris.
- Broccoli: Generally, broccoli does not stick to the surface of your teeth, so the texture of fresh florets gives them a light brush. Cooked broccoli is generally not effective.
- Hard cheese: Hard cheeses are an excellent source of calcium, which are prime contributors to strong, healthy teeth and gums.
- Oranges: All citric fruit contains citric acid, which in large doses can wear down your tooth enamel. Occasional consumption, though, can help remove discoloration without damaging your teeth.
Of course, even with a proper diet, you should always schedule regular dental checkups and professional cleanings. Preferred Dental Care Chelsea is highly skilled in all areas of dentistry, so visit them online to view their complete list of services, or call (212) 594-7171.