A sports injury can ruin your game and keep you sidelined for weeks. Whether you are a casual player or dedicated professional, you should consider acupuncture as a means to alleviate pain, accelerate recovery, and enhance performance.
Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese practice, where tiny filament needles are inserted at strategic points of the body to treat conditions ranging from headaches and neck pain to fibromyalgia. The needles provoke the release of endorphins and other hormones in the body to promote circulation and reduce pain and inflammation.
How Does Acupuncture Help?
Acupuncture is an effective sports injury treatment because of its ability to increase range of motion, reduce pain, increase healing and recovery time, and strengthen weakened areas of the body. Some of the more common acupuncture applications include:
- Acute Strains, Spasms & Sprains: The term “acute injury” refers to a strain or sprain. Strains involve tendons and muscles whereas sprains pertain to ligaments. Aside from pain, the body’s response can include redness, swelling, and reduced range of motion.
- Chronic Pain: Those suffering from sports injuries learn to accept their level of immobility instead of proactively treating it. This can lead to depression. Acupuncture can relieve and eliminate a variety of aches and pains.
- Arthritis & Joint Conditions: An autoimmune disease, arthritis commonly occurs with repetitive or chronic injuries. Due to the stiffness and pain, you may find it difficult to exercise, walk, or lift heavy objects.
- Performance Enhancement: Acupuncture bolsters body function and restores internal balance, promoting heightened performance and lower stress levels. Enhanced circulation allows you to push yourself further while minimizing wear and tear on your ligaments, muscles, and joints.
- Sciatica, Shoulder, Back & Neck Pain: This practice is also effective in treating a variety of back and neck issues. Back, shoulder and neck pain are extremely common, whether due to a bad tackle or hours spent huddled over an office desk. When treated with acupuncture, injuries to these areas, whether chronic or acute, will see an accelerated recovery.
Whether you’re experiencing back pain, stiffness, or anxiety, the licensed acupuncturists at Acupuncture and Health in New York, NY, will help you find the relief you’re after. Schedule an appointment by calling (704) 542-3721 or visit them online to learn more about the benefits of this treatment.