There are few things worse than waking up to find a flood in the basement. In addition to being messy and expensive to fix, excess water also puts your home at risk for mold growth and future plumbing issues. The professionals at James J. Rybczyk Plumbing Heating & Air Conditioning in Bristol, CT, specialize in sump pump installations and are fully equipped to pump out flooded basements quickly. However, they want to help customers keep their homes dry, so they’ve compiled a few tips.
To avoid a flood altogether, follow these five steps:
- Inspect the Foundation Regularly: One of the best ways to avoid basement flooding is to ensure that there are no cracks or structural issues with your home’s foundation. Schedule annual inspections to make sure there are no openings that can invite water into the basement.
- Clean & Maintain Gutters: Your gutters and downspouts do more than direct water away from the roof; they also prevent it from pooling around the foundation. Cleaning the gutters and downspouts each season helps minimize foundation damage and prevents basement flooding.
- Fix Plumbing Issues Quickly: Your basement can flood for any number of reasons, including plumbing issues like a backup in your sewer system. Keeping up with regular maintenance is the key to avoiding expensive plumbing repairs and reducing the risk of a flood.
- Proper Sump Pump Usage: Installing a sump pump helps homeowners eliminate the need to pump out flooded basements. This equipment is designed to remove excess moisture before it accumulates. It should be installed and maintained by a plumbing professional to ensure it works properly.
- Call at First Sign of Trouble: The best way to keep a bad situation from getting worse is to get help as soon as you notice a problem. Look for a company that offers 24/7 emergency plumbing services. These teams are prepared to pump out flooded basements around the clock, so you don’t have to wait and let the damage get worse.
The season’s heavy rainfall can saturate the soil and put homes at risk for moisture problems, but the James J. Rybczyk Plumbing Heating & Air Conditioning are ready to pump out flooded basements at a moment’s notice. Call (860) 589-2527 to request 24/7 emergency plumbing assistance. Visit the company online to learn more about their services.