Perhaps you’re in high school or college when you discover you’re pregnant. As you grapple with your own feelings, the idea of telling your parents adds another layer of anxiety. The good news is, there are many ways to let them know and come out of the experience with confidence. Heartbeats in Zanesville and Newark, OH, has been a trusted resource for women and young girls seeking pregnancy help in a compassionate, private, and judgment-free environment.
We pride ourselves on offering a range of solutions to help clients make choices that will benefit them and their baby. If you’re facing an unplanned pregnancy and are afraid to tell your parents or guardians, here are a few suggestions to prepare yourself for the conversation:
- Put It in Writing: Gather your thoughts by writing them down on paper. Keep it concise and break the news early on in the discussion. Express your own fears and any other emotions you may be feeling.
- Talk Soon: The sooner you can have the conversation with your parents, the more relieved you’ll feel to get the news out in the open. This will also allow for more time to weigh pregnancy help options.
- Acknowledge Reactions: After sharing the news, give your parents time to process what you said. Don’t be discouraged if there are moments of silence, anger, or disappointment. Acknowledge their reactions and respond to questions and statements in a way that feels right to you.
- Discuss Plans: You may still be contemplating your pregnancy options, from keeping the baby to seeking adoption. If you’re unsure, let your parents know. They may have strong feelings against abortion or wonder how you will support the child while in school. This is the time to get their feedback and express your intentions.
- Get Support: Before having the talk, reach out to a pregnancy help center for advice. Counselors and staff members have extensive experience assisting teenage girls and young women with processing and preparing for an unplanned pregnancy.
From free pregnancy tests and ultrasounds to abortion alternatives, we at Heartbeats are committed to providing emotional and spiritual support for women who don’t know where to turn. All pregnancy help services are free, confidential, and follow the loving tenets of Christ.
If you’re dealing with an unwanted pregnancy, you don’t have to manage this life change on your own. Call Heartbeats today in Zanesville at (740) 450-5437 or Newark at (740) 349-7558 to schedule an appointment. Visit our website for extensive information on pregnancy options and information.