Your teen is ready to start driving, and you’re faced with the challenge of finding or upgrading your car insurance to cover them. While every parent can find this process a bit stressful, it doesn’t have to be. The agents at Advantage Insurance Agency in Lincoln, NE, want to help. Here are a few simple tips to help you find the perfect policy for your new driver:
- Be Prepared for an Increase in Premiums: Teen drivers are inexperienced and, as such, are statistically more likely to get into an accident. This can cause a slight increase in your overall premium costs as your provider now needs to cover a higher-risk driver on your policy.
- Bundle Insurance Policies Together: If you’ve been working with multiple insurance providers, you might be able to save money on your policies if you move some or all of them to one company. Many car insurance providers will offer you a lower rate—even on coverage for your teen—if you’re using them for additional policies.
- Take Advantage of Good Grades: Although your teen is inexperienced as a driver, they might be able to reduce the cost of coverage by doing well in school. If your teen has good grades, make sure to tell your insurance agent to see if they’ll qualify for a student discount.
- Enroll Your Teen in a State-Approved Driver’s Ed Program: Even if you handle most of the hands-on teaching, enrolling your child in a driver’s education course may qualify you for a discount on their insurance policy. Through these courses, your teen will learn everything they need to know about Nebraska’s driving laws, rules of the road, and the hazards of unsafe and distracted driving.
- Practice, Practice, Practice: Once you select a car insurance policy for your teen, make sure you help them practice driving—even if it’s in an empty parking lot. The more time they have behind the wheel, the better driver they will be. Remember, even a small infraction on their record can increase your premiums, so the more practice they get, the more stable your premiums will be.
Whether you’re looking for car insurance for your teen or need to upgrade your personal auto insurance policy, contact Advantage Insurance Agency today. Visit their website for more information on their coverage options, and call (402) 484-5454 to schedule an appointment with an agent.