Sushi is a delicious and important component of Japanese cuisine, but for many people, it is an acquired taste. Most types of sushi or sashimi feature raw fish and vegetables wrapped inside of rice and nori, or seaweed. If you have never tried sushi before, this unique combination of flavors and textures can be an interesting experience.
To ensure that your experience is pleasant and won’t turn you off from the food entirely, it is important to choose a roll that you’ll like. Below, the staff from Hatsuhana Hawaii, a Japanese restaurant in Honolulu, HI, lists their sushi suggestions for first timers.
- California Roll: California rolls are considered by many to be the perfect roll for beginners. This type of sushi, commonly included in bento boxes, features rice, crab meat, and avocado. It has a mild flavor and pairs well with miso soup and tempura.
- Shrimp Roll: Shrimp rolls are a good option for a person who has some experience eating seafood but has never tried sushi or sashimi. Shrimp rolls are filling and very palatable making them a good choice for first-timers. For more adventurous newbies, many sushi bars serve shrimp tempura and spicy shrimp rolls that offer a variety of textures and flavors.
- Tuna Roll: A tuna roll is a great first roll because most people have tried tuna at least once. Tuna rolls offer a familiar flavor while allowing beginners to get used to sushi’s texture and the taste of nori. Like shrimp rolls, tuna rolls are also available in spicy varieties.
- Vegetable Roll: If seafood isn’t your thing, give a vegetable roll a try. Many Japanese restaurants serve rolls made with rice, nori, and vegetables, such as cucumber, avocado, and sweet potato.
- Negimaki: Another seafood-free variety, negimaki is commonly known as “meat sushi.” Negimaki includes thin strips of chicken or beef rolled around scallions. This allows those who do not enjoy seafood to partake in the experience of eating sushi while still enjoying their food.
If you would like to give one of these sushi rolls a try tonight, call (808) 946-8287 to make a reservation at Hatsuhana Hawaii. To learn more about this restaurant or to read client reviews, visit their Facebook page.