Maintaining your dental health is not something that stops when you reach a certain age. It takes a lifelong commitment to prevent problems such as gum recession and disease, enamel loss, nerve damage, and bone loss. Help yourself and your family enjoy lifetimes of optimal dental health by utilizing the following tips from your Kalispell, MT, dentist. Dr. Ron Davis, DDS and the friendly staff at Greenery Park Dentistry provide patients with customized treatment plans to keep them smiling.
Do your part to maintain healthy teeth and gums:
- Brush & Floss: Brush your teeth for two minutes twice a day and floss once a day to keep plaque and tartar from building up. Diligent home care is essential to prevent plaque from hardening into tartar, which only your dentist can remove. It also rids your mouth of food particles that work with bacteria to form decay-causing acids.
- Avoid Sugary Foods & Drinks: Limit your intake of sugary foods and beverages, including sweets, carbohydrates, soda, and alcoholic beverages. All of these work with mouth bacteria to create acids that wear on enamel and form cavities. Sticky foods are among the worst culprits because they adhere to teeth and gums.
- Drink Plenty of Water: Drink water to flush your mouth of food particles and sugary, tooth-coating drinks. Increasing your water intake also helps maintain saliva production, which, like water, is necessary for flushing food particles from the mouth. Drink water with every meal and try to sip it after eating sweet foods or drinking sugary beverages.
- Enjoy a Healthy Diet: Consume a healthy, varied diet rich in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and lean proteins. Certain fruits and vegetables such as apples and celery act as natural teeth cleaners. Healthy foods also do not promote tooth decay the way carbohydrates and candy do.
- Visit Your Dentist: Schedule visits with your dentist every six months. Routine exams are preventative measures that alert you to potential problems before they worsen, while teeth cleanings remove hardened tartar. Your dentist will also provide helpful, personalized suggestions for maintaining your oral health.
Greenery Park Dentistry provides a full suite of dental procedures and uses only the latest and most cutting-edge techniques to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Call (406) 755-6116 to schedule your appointment or visit the Greenery Park Dentistry website to learn more about the renowned dentist’s innovative approach to patient care.