You may consider yourself a bit of a pizza connoisseur. You love a delicious pie for lunch, and you can’t resist a slice or two at dinner—but just how adventurous would you say you are? That’s where the chefs at Emilio’s of Morris Park step in. Purveyors of the best pizza in the Bronx, the team knows there’s more to this beloved Italian food than basic cheese and meat.
Where to begin? Here are five delicious toppings that are certain to shake up your next meal:
- Broccoli Rabe: Don’t confuse this vivid green vegetable with broccoli. It’s actually a member of the turnip family, and it boasts a decidedly earthy, vaguely bitter flavor that softens after it is cooked. On a pizza, it provides just the right spark of contrast to sweet tomato sauce and perfectly balances other vegetables, like mushrooms and peppers.
- Macaroni & Cheese: It’s true—your favorite comfort food is now a topping on your favorite Italian cuisine. While the creamy consistency and delicious base alone are a great combination, you can add bacon if you crave a little crunch.
- Pineapple: It’s not exactly unusual on its own, but there are many people who naysay pineapple as a pizza topping. However, it can be just what that pie needs to give it a fresh burst of sweet flavor. Try pairing it with ricotta or extra cheese for a pleasing balance of tastes.
- Sun-Dried Tomatoes: Basic tomatoes are commonplace, but sun-dried tomatoes put a fresh spin on pizza. They have a more intense, robust flavor some may consider salty or sharp. Pair them with olives, peppers, and your meat of choice for a hearty and extra-flavorful pizza.
- Eggplant: If you’re a vegetarian, you might get bored with the standard vegetable toppings. Eggplant is a great choice that pairs well with everything from tomatoes and peppers to ricotta and mushrooms. It’s also quite filling, so it makes for a more substantial and satisfying meal.
When you’re craving delicious Italian cuisine, you can always rely on the professionals at Emilio’s of Morris Park to cook up a meal you’ll love. Browse their menu online to plan your next pizza order, or give them a call at (718) 822-6758 if you’re ready to give in to temptation. Text EMILIOS to 33733 to download the mobile app from the App Store or get it on Google Play for easy and stress-free ordering.