If you're interested in duck hunting, you may not know what gear you need to get started. You want to be sure you have the right equipment and know how to use it so you can enjoy one of the world's favorite outdoor pastimes. Here, the hunting apparel experts at Glauber's Sports, located in Carrollton, KY, discuss the essential gear you need for duck hunting season.
These are the five essential items to buy to get started:
- Waders: Duck hunters typically have to go through messy, wet terrain to find what they’re looking for. A pair of chest waders is a necessity because they keep you dry when you sit down in water.
- Decoys: You have many options available when it comes to duck decoys. It's a good idea to buy at least a dozen mallard ones to increase your success rate.
- Guns & Shells: If you're not sure what gun to choose for duck hunting, you can't go wrong if you buy a shotgun with a 12-gauge chamber and 3-inch magnum shells. Make sure you buy steel shells because lead is not permitted for duck hunting.
- Camouflage Clothing: Unlike other types of hunters, duck hunters are allowed to wear camouflage hunting apparel that helps them blend in with their surroundings. Many choose brown-colored clothing that matches the color of most terrain.
- Duck Calls: Duck calls are reed-based instruments designed to attract ducks to your location. It's important to have yours handy and know how to use it to summon nearby ducks.
The hunting apparel experts at Glauber's Sports have more than 150 years of experience selling guns, ammunition, and accessories. Give them a call at (800) 557-3380 to speak to a member of their team, or visit them online to learn more about their hunting apparel.