Whether you wear reading glasses or have perfect 20/20 vision, your eyesight is not always in your control. To protect your eyesight, it’s important to avoid any bad habits that can strain your eyes or cause an infection. With six locations throughout the Greater Rochester, NY, area, the eye doctors at Reed Eye Associates provide top-notch services, from eye exams to cataract surgery.
Below, those skilled eye doctors share a few bad habits that can damage your eyesight:
- Not Wearing Sunglasses: UV exposure is detrimental to your skin and your eyes. When you’re out in the sun, don a pair of sunglasses that offer UV-blocking protection.
- Rubbing Your Eyes: When you rub your eyes, you transfer bacteria and dirt that can cause infections such as pink eye. Blink or use eye drops to flush out irritants.
- Staring at a Smartphone: Staring at your phone for too long can strain your eyes and cause blurry vision. It can also cause your eyes to tire and give you a headache. Give your eyes sufficient time to rest after staring at your phone or computer screen for a while.
- Using Over 3-Month Old Eye Makeup: While you may be reluctant to throw away your mascara or eyeliner, it’s unhygienic to keep it for longer than three months due to bacteria growth. As soon as you notice a change in smell or consistency, throw your makeup products out to avoid the risk of an eye infection.
- Reading in Poor Lighting: Reading is a great pre-sleep activity, but it’s bad for your eyes if you do it in poor lighting. Turn on the lamp on your nightstand so you’re not straining your eyes.
If you need an eye exam or are looking for a new pair of glasses, enlist the help of the eye doctors at Reed Eye Associates. Call (585) 249-8300 today to schedule an appointment at an office nearest to you or visit their website for a comprehensive list of locations and services.