Homeowners often worry so much about maintaining their floors, counters, and other kitchen surfaces that they may overlook one important area: their cabinets. If you’ve invested in custom cabinets to make your dream kitchen come to life, it’s worth it to take a few extra steps to ensure they’ll last as long as possible.
Here, the cabinet installation pros from Wholesale Cabinets in Florida, NY, share some tips to keep your custom cabinets looking like new for years to come:
- Clean Them Regularly: To prevent grime from forming, clean your kitchen cabinets regularly using a soft cloth and warm water. If needed, use dish soap, wiping in the same direction as the wood grain.
- Remove Grime & Stains: If you find that there’s grime that won’t go away using warm water and dish soap alone, mix vinegar and water together and use it to gently scrub away the grime with a sponge. You can remove stains with a paste made from baking soda and water.
- Avoid These Cleaning Products: To avoid stripping the finish on your custom cabinets, never use bleach, ammonia, nail polish remover, or silicone- or petroleum-based products to clean them. It’s also advised that you avoid harsh materials, such as steel wool when wiping down the surface.
- Keep Damage at Bay: Extreme heat, water, and light damage can all cause discoloration in wood. Be mindful of your cabinet proximity when using the oven’s self-cleaning feature and move them temporarily if needed. Avoid placing wet rags in a spot where they’ll rub against cabinets, and look out for nearby leaks. Finally, if sunlight hits your cabinets directly for many hours of the day, close the blinds now and then to avoid damage.
- Perform Touch-Ups: Address nicks and scratches to your kitchen cabinets right away, instead of allowing them to worsen. There are DIY kits available at home improvement stores to remove surface imperfections, or you could call a kitchen remodeling team to have them removed professionally.
If you’re considering having custom cabinets installed in your Orange County, NY, home, call the area’s best installation team at (845) 508-6577 to discuss your vision today. You can also visit Wholesale Cabinets online to learn more about their products and services.