Your refrigerator … you use it every day and don’t give it a second thought until it breaks down. To help save you money, Just Appliance Repair has some tips to show you how to take the best care of the hardest working appliance in your kitchen.
- Do: Clean your condenser coils – twice a year if you can. Dirt and grime can build up on the coils, forcing your fridge to work harder and run more often. A special long handled brush or vacuum attachment make the task easier to accomplish.
- Do: Give your fridge space. You should leave several inches of space on the top, sides and back to give the heat it expels room to escape.
- Do: Let food cool down before storing it in the refrigerator. Putting hot leftovers in the fridge can warm up other food stored nearby. It also increases the energy needed to cool it all down.
- Do: Replace the water filter on your fridge every six months or so.
- Don’t: Ignore your gasket/door seal. The gasket is what keeps the warm air out and the cold air in. Periodically check it for wear and tears. Clean it periodically with a universal cleaner and replace the gasket if it’s damaged.
- Don’t: Overload shelves, bins or the door. Extra weight in these areas can cause excessive wear and could cause damage. If the damage is already done, you can get new bins, shelves or drawers to replace them.
- Don’t: Open the door too often. It pays to plan ahead before you open your fridge door. You let cold air escape every time you open it, so try retrieving a few things with each trip to help save money and energy.
- Don’t: Let your fridge get smelly! Cleaning out old food every week is a good idea. Try using a deodorizer that’s made specifically for refrigerators – they can be up to 50 times more effective than baking soda.
Taking good care of your refrigerator will pay off in the long run – considering a new one can cost upwards of hundreds to thousands of dollars.
Call us today at 845-243-7052 to learn about all the services we provide. Read real and verified customer reviews and testimonials of Just Appliance Repair and check out our 4.2 Star Rating on Home Advisor. You can also catch up on previous blogs you may have missed here.
Proudly serving these Mid-Lower Hudson Valley Areas: Orange, Ulster, Dutchess, Putnam, Columbia, Westchester, Rockland, Northern New Jersey and Parts of Connecticut.
Servicing the following neighborhoods:
- Poughkeepsie, Cold Spring Harbor, Middletown, Newburgh, Croton-on-Hudson
- Port Jervis, New City, Yorktown Heights, Beacon, Carmel Hamlet
- Kent, Patterson, Southeast Putnam Valley. Cold Spring. Nelsonville
- Brewster. Chappaqua, Kingston, Haverstraw, Stony Point, Hyde Park
- Wappingers Falls, Fishkill, Pine Bush, Mount Kisco, Briarcliff Manor
- Dobbs Ferry, Larchmont, Pleasantville, Peekskill, Wallkill, Tuckahoe
- West Nyack, Blauvelt, Spring Valley, Cornwall-on-Hudson, Woodstown
Just Appliance Repair, Poughkeepsie, NY 12601 PH: 845-243-7052