Bringing home your newly adopted child is a dream come true. Integrating your new family member into the household can take some time—and the process won’t necessarily be smooth sailing every step of the way. Fortunately, the children’s counseling professionals of Fairbanks Counseling & Adoption have some tips to help you manage the transition.
When you're bringing an adopted little one into your home, remember these adoption facilitators' top do's and don'ts:
- Do Learn About The Child In Advance: Ask questions about your child’s personality and interests before you bring them home. Do they like certain cartoons or have a favorite color? Is there a particular food or toy they enjoy? This information will make it easier to connect down the line.
- Do Share Details About Your Own Home: Providing information to a child about their future home can help ease their tension about the transition. Showing photos can also get your child excited about their upcoming move.
- Do Encourage Having Fun: Joining in communal activities is a great way to let loose. Play a board game, go on a picnic, take a trip to the beach—the shared activities you choose will build memories and strengthen your new bond.
- Don’t Overwhelm The Child: It can be tempting to celebrate the adoption in a big way, for instance by having a “welcome home” bash as soon as possible. However, such celebrations can be overwhelming at the start. Work on integrating your new family member into daily home life first.
- Don’t Be Afraid To Express Affection: You can express affection through smiles and hugs—but don’t be surprised or offended if your efforts aren’t initially reciprocated. Some children may not be used to such openness. It may take them time to get over any distrust and warm up.
- Don’t Get Discouraged: Don’t blame yourself if things don’t go perfectly. Reach out for support if you feel yourself getting discouraged; an adoption group for parents run by children’s counseling professionals can give you the guidance you need for a smooth transition.
If you’re interested in additional tips on easing the adoption process for the entire family, Fairbanks Counseling & Adoption can help. Offering diverse adoption, children’s counseling, outreach, and support services, these professionals are dedicated to creating healthy communities of happy families. Visit their website or call (907) 456-4729 to find out how they can help you.