Remodeling a kitchen is no small task—it requires plenty of planning before any actual work can be done. Decide what your goals are for your new kitchen design and what you hope to gain once it’s complete. For instance, if you like to cook a lot, you might want to focus more on appliances and design that can aid you; however, if you are trying to optimize your space, you might spend more time enhancing your cabinet and storage areas.
The remodel should reflect your personal style and factor in your cooking and storage space needs. Here’s a planning guide to help you envision your new kitchen design:
- Space: Before you think about hitting the showrooms for new cabinets and laminate or vinyl flooring, consider the square footage you have to work with. The smaller your kitchen, the more valuable every inch becomes. If the goals you have for your kitchen are bigger than what its current size can handle, think about making an extension.
- Layout: Adding new kitchen cabinets or replacing your old countertops with granite ones doesn’t have to be where your remodel ends. If your current layout is not satisfying, consider rearranging it. Depending on your budget, you could even place windows and doors on opposite walls to optimize the space.
- Infrastructure: If your kitchen is outdated, you’ll need to update any problematic plumbing and electrical issues before installing your new appliances. That way, you’ll know that everything will be able to work smoothly.
- Lifestyle: Think about what you like in a kitchen design and what you need. Then consider what you dislike and what you can live without. This will help you identify areas of your current kitchen design that need improvement to meet your lifestyle demands.
- Budget: The ideal budget for a kitchen remodel should be between 6% and 10% of your overall home value. After you have this number, decide which areas of improvement are most important and stick to your decisions once they have been made. Changing your mind numerous times is the quickest way to go over budget.
When you need the best materials and appliances for remodeling your kitchen, visit Cozy Interiors in Eagle River, AK. They carry a wide selection of flooring, including vinyl, hardwood, and laminate, as well as a variety of cabinet designs that cover everything from wood stains to premium glazes. Stop by their showroom today or call them at (907) 694-2699 for more information on the products they carry. You can also visit their website to see their selections for yourself.