Sometimes the most intimidating thing about trying a new cuisine is being able to understand what's actually on the menu! Don't let language be the barrier to a meal full of deliciousness. The family folks at Rancho Chico Mexican Restaurant in Plainville, MA offer a quick vocabulary lesson on terms you'll often find on Mexican restaurant menu, so next time you come in, you can spend less time reading and more time eating (and drinking)!
Master this list, and you'll look like a real experto in Spanish — and fine Mexican cuisine for that matter!
- Arroz. The Spanish word for rice. Look for this as a delicious side in many of your Mexican dishes.
- Pollo. The Spanish word for chicken. The dish arroz con pollo (literally meaning 'rice with chicken') is a classic in any traditional Mexican household, and Rancho Chico serves it with delicious veggies and a mild, red sauce.
- Camarones. The Spanish word for shrimp. Try this prepared with mushrooms in a yummy Parmesan cheese sauce or with peppers, mushrooms, onions in a Chile chipotle cream sauce. Both are hits at Rancho Chico!
- Pescado. The Spanish word for fish. You haven't lived until you've had good fish tacos (new at Rancho Chico!) or another new favorite, Pescado Dorado, a delicious red snapper marinated in butter garlic sauce, fried and served with arroz (see how easy that is?), pico de gallo, green salad, avocado slices and fresh lime.
- Huevos. The Spanish word for eggs. Mexican-style eggs are a must-have any time of the day. Try a wide selection of dishes with huevos, including the new Rancho Chico Omelette, which is stuffed with carne asada, Monterrey jack cheese, and pico de gallo. It's completed with a topping of delicious Green Chili Sauce, lettuce, tomatoes, and — of course — guacamole and sour cream.
That's it for this vocab lesson! Check out Rancho Chico's website for more useful vocabulary and a complete menu of their delicious lunch and dinner items. Call 508-643-2534 for more information, and drop by any day of the week from 11:00 am to 12:00 am for the best Mexican food in Boston!