If you are planning a family vacation or road trip, you’re likely also figuring out where to stay. With so many hotel and motel options, it can be overwhelming to decide which accommodations are right for you. Onalaska Inn is a luxury inn and hotel in Onalaska, WI. Below, their hospitality professionals explain the key differences between hotels and motels to help you decide which is best for your vacation.
Hotels and motels differ in terms of:
- Price: Motels are generally lower in cost than hotels and offer a fixed rate per night or week. Hotels typically cost more than motels, but actual prices can vary greatly depending on how close to your stay you are booking, the time of year, their current availability, and the length of your stay.
- Amenities: A motel is focused on convenience, whereas hotels are more focused on providing you with a comfortable, luxurious experience. Amenities in a hotel may include a gym, spa, restaurant, and pool. Because motels are typically used by travelers and drivers needing to rest for no more than a few days at a time, they do not include most of the amenities hotels have.
- Availability: Motel rooms are booked on a first-come, first-serve basis. Motels will offer guests rooms as they arrive and may turn on a “no vacancy” sign if they are fully booked. Hotels typically require you to book rooms in advance. You may be able to book in person, on the day of, but the price of the room will be higher.
- Location: Motels are typically located roadside or directly off a highway to attract customers looking for a convenient place to spend the night. Hotels, on the other hand, are often part of the destination, so they may be located in the middle of a city, inside a casino, or near a beach.
- Service: Most motels have a front desk attendant and housekeeping services for their guests. Hotels will include these services, but they may also have waiters, bellhops, bartenders, and musicians. They may also offer room service day and night.
If you are visiting Onalaska and would like to experience luxury accommodations at an affordable price, call (608) 783-2270 to book your room at Onalaska Inn.