Did you know that around 30 to 40 million Americans avoid seeing the dentist simply out of fear? First-time dental visits can be an uneasy experience for both children and adults. Fortunately, parents looking for a reliable kids' dentist can trust Alaska Dentistry for Kids to make initial appointments as stress-free as possible.
Located in Anchorage, the clinic provides comprehensive dental care procedures such as cleanings, fillings, root canals, tooth extractions, and special needs services. For the benefit of a multilingual clientele, their staff also speaks Spanish.
Here are five tips for a stress-free first dental visit:
- Ask For Recommendations: There’s no substitute for trusted recommendations from friends and family members. Their testimonials can provide you with insightful information about the dentist—such as his techniques and the way in which he handles patients—and eliminate the fear of the unknown.
- Bring Some Company: Another way to alleviate your stress or anxiety is to bring a close friend or family member along with you. Being with someone you trust can immediately put you at ease, especially during a stressful situation like a dental visit.
- Express Your Anxiety: Tell the dentist it’s your first dental appointment and you are anxious about what will happen. The better the dentist understands how you feel, the more they will do to extinguish your fears. For the severely anxious, some dentists offer sedation options.
- Practice Relaxation Techniques: Prepare for your appointment by learning some calming techniques. Practice deep breathing and meditation, or squeeze a stress ball. Avoid drinking caffeinated beverages on the day of your checkup, as these can increase feelings of anxiety.
- Maintain Good Oral Hygiene: Maintaining proper oral hygiene is a great way to keep your dental visits hassle-free. The healthier your teeth are, the easier your dental exams will be. Brush and floss your teeth regularly and avoid acidic and sugary foods.
Alaska Dentistry for Kids can take care of your children's dental health from birth all the way through their high school graduation. Call (907) 274-2525 today to speak with the area’s leading kids’ dentist. You can also visit the website to learn more.