About every three months or so, it comes time to buy your child a new toothbrush. While your little one would be happy with anything depicting their favorite animated character, this decision requires a bit more deliberation. Here, the expert children’s dentist from Alaska Dentistry for Kids in Anchorage explains how to make the right choice for your child.
Since every mouth is different, there isn’t a one-size-fits-all toothbrush. When heading to the dental care aisle, here’s what to consider:
- Size: There are many different sizes of toothbrushes, with specific types for babies, toddlers, and preadolescents. Since your little one’s mouth and hands are constantly changing, take a minute to choose a toothbrush with the appropriately sized handle and head.
- Bristles: Always choose a soft-bristled toothbrush for your children, unless your dentist recommends otherwise. Harder bristles can cause damage to enamel and gums, which children are even more susceptible to.
- Grip: Since their dexterity is still developing, kids will benefit from a larger grip than adults. An exaggerated handle will help them brush with more power and control.
- Manual Vs. Electric: With supervision, children can safely operate both manual and electric toothbrushes. Since most kids require extra help brushing until sometime around the ages of 6 or 7, an electric toothbrush might aid them in removing plaque. Choose whichever model works best for your child, and don’t push them to use an electric model if they don’t feel comfortable.
- Variety: Many kids’ toothbrushes come in fun colors and varieties, and frequently feature beloved characters. To make brushing time a little more fun, select a toothbrush your child will love like a toy.
In addition to these valuable tips, visit your children’s dentist regularly for a cleaning and checkup. For top-quality pediatric dental care in Anchorage, look no further than Alaska Dentistry for Kids. Schedule an appointment today by calling (907) 274-2525. For more information, visit the website and like the Facebook page.