Between shopping, celebrations, and quality time spent with family and friends, the holiday season can become quite chaotic. In the midst of it all, it’s important to remember how vulnerable your home can be during this time of year. Burglaries and fires are both on the rise around the holidays, and extra security measures are crucial if you want to avoid a dreaded call to your home insurance provider.
James C Whitley Insurance Agency helps residents in and around High Point, NC, secure the coverage they need to protect their most valued investments. However, purchasing insurance is just the first step to safeguarding your assets.
Below, this trusted agency offers a few tips to increase the safety of your home around the holidays:
- Don’t Promote Your Plans On Social Media: It’s always fun to let your friends and family know what you’re doing, but keep the details to a minimum on social media. This is one of the first places burglars will look to select their next target, so avoid publicly announcing when your house will be empty—even if it’s only for a few hours.
- Have A Neighbor Keep An Eye Out: If you are traveling for the holidays for any length of time, ask a neighbor you can trust to keep an eye on your property while you’re away. They can pick up your mail and newspapers so they don’t pile up, and alert you or the authorities at the first sign of suspicious activity.
- Make It Look Like Someone Is Home: Empty houses are prime targets for burglars. To make them believe someone is always home, keep the curtains and blinds closed and set your lights to switch on and off at certain times throughout the day and night.
- Be Mindful Of Your Christmas Lights: Christmas lights are a common cause of electrical fires, which lead to many home insurance claims around the holidays. Don’t use any strands that have broken lamps or frayed cords, and turn off your lights when you leave the house or go to bed.
- Get A Chimney Inspection: The holidays provide the perfect opportunity to cozy up next to a fire, but only if you’ve had your chimney inspected and cleaned. Before you light your first fire, have a professional examine the shaft and verify it’s safe to use.
To ensure the holiday season is truly the most wonderful time of year, take these simple precautions and avoid filing a home insurance claim. James C Whitley Insurance Agency offers quotes from both of their High Point office locations on N Main St. and W Lexington Ave. To receive one, call (336) 841-5300, or visit their Facebook page for additional information.