In 2014, nearly 18 million Americans were victims of identity theft. To help you avoid becoming a victim yourself, the James C. Whitley Insurance Agency in High Point, NC, offers the tips below on how to protect yourself against identity theft. For 39 years, this Nationwide® broker has helped Guilford County residents and businesses choose the right home, auto, general liability, and life insurance policies to meet their financial planning needs.
To avoid falling victim to identity theft, follow these five important suggestions below:
- Shred Unneeded Documents: Shred all unnecessary documents that contain personal or financial information, including old home, business, and life insurance policies. Those you must keep should be stored in a secure location, preferably under lock and key.
- Be Cautious On Social Media: Avoid oversharing on Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, or other social media sites. Online thieves and scammers are highly skilled at collecting dropped tidbits and using them to access personal info.
- Secure Your Computer: Ensure your computer has the latest anti-virus and anti-malware software, and always choose strong, unique passwords for online accounts. Lastly, never do banking or schedule payment transactions over an unsecured Wi-Fi connection, such as at a library or Internet café.
- Regularly Check Bank & Credit Card Accounts: Monitor your credit card and bank account transactions weekly to ensure you are the only one using your accounts. The more frequently you check your statements, the more secure you'll be.
- Don’t Give Out Information Over The Phone: Never give out personal or financial information over the phone unless you are certain the caller is genuine. Scammers are adept at pretending to be a banker or life insurance agent, tricking victims into revealing passwords, account numbers, and other compromising information.
For your convenience, James C. Whitley Insurance Agency maintains two offices in High Point, NC—on North Main Street and West Lexington Avenue—where they offer invaluable advice and red-carpet customer service. Call (336) 841-5300 today to request an insurance quote for a home, auto, general liability, or life insurance policy.