While it’s normal to feel nervous every now and then, an anxiety disorder is different. This serious yet common mental disorder can cause such distress it’s difficult or impossible to tackle everyday life. If you’re struggling with anxiety, the licensed psychologists and therapists at Lincoln’s Nebraska Mental Health Centers can help you manage your feelings and learn to cope.
First, they say, it’s important to understand the signs and symptoms of an anxiety disorder, so you know when to contact a mental health professional:
- Feelings Of Fear & Uneasiness: If you’re frequently in a state of panic, fear, or general uneasiness, this may be a sign you’re experiencing an anxiety disorder.
- Problems Sleeping: Many people with anxiety disorders report regular trouble sleeping. If it’s hard for you to fall or stay asleep, or if you’re sleeping too much, consult a mental health professional.
- Shortness Of Breath: Do you experience shortness of breath with feelings of fear and panic? This is another sign you’re dealing with more than “normal” anxiety.
- Racing Heart: Men and women with anxiety disorder often report a racing heart with their shortness of breath.
- Inability To Sit Still: If you feel jittery, wired, or can’t sit still throughout the day on a frequent basis, you may be dealing with a high level of anxiety.
- Nausea & Dizziness: During a panic attack, many people with an anxiety disorder feel dizzy or nauseous. This is the body is reacting to a perceived fear in a way that’s unhealthy for the body and the mind.
If you are experiencing one or more of the symptoms above, call Lincoln’s anxiety disorder and depression experts at Nebraska Mental Health Centers for care at (402) 483-6990. To learn more about their services and staff, visit their website.