Whether you plan to sell your house a few months down the road or not for a few years, the real estate agents at Boston, MA’s EXIT Bayside Realty say there are some simple things you can do to increase its value. To attract the most amount of homebuyers and receive favorable offers, take the time to update the areas of your home that need some attention.
To add value to your home, here are five tasks you can complete:
- Landscape: Even the nicest house on the block can deter homebuyers if its yard lacks basic curb appeal. To really make your home stand out and draw in house hunters, spend time landscaping your front and backyard before your real estate agent puts it on the market.
- Paint: Something as simple as a fresh coat of paint can add tremendous value to your home. Stay away from bright or exceptionally dark colors. Stick with a neutral palette, which will appeal to the most amount of homebuyers. For a pop of color, consider painting an accent wall in a bedroom or living space.
- Update The Kitchen & Bathroom: Any real estate agent will tell you that kitchens and bathrooms sell homes, so don’t neglect these areas when preparing your home to sell. While you don’t need to complete major overhauls, you can give them a simple facelift by changing out the light fixtures or cabinet hardware. If you’d like to go a step further, consider replacing outdated countertops and floors.
- Clean The Carpets: Professionally cleaning carpets is an easy way to make it look like new. Selling a house with stained carpets isn’t the best idea. Additionally, worn rugs can leave a bad odor in your home, which may deter buyers.
- Replace Old Systems: If your air conditioning system, furnace, or water heater is old or broken, invest in a new one before you sell your house. If you do decide to replace them, consider doing so with energy-efficient options, like a tankless hot water heater. Real estate brokers say these features are highly sought after by today’s homebuyers.
If you’d like more tips on how to increase your property’s value, or if you need a real estate agent to represent your home listing, call EXIT Bayside Realty today at (617) 265-6111 or visit their website. The brokers at this office specialize in selling homes in the Milton, Quincy, Brookline, Dedham, and Newton areas and have the expertise you need to gain the largest return on your investment.