With fall in full force and winter right around the corner, there’s no better time than now to head to your local pharmacy for a yearly flu shot. Hart Pharmacy in Cincinnati, OH, recommends children, adults, and seniors get the influenza vaccine seasonally to reduce their chances of becoming ill.
While you might not think the flu shot does much to protect you against getting sick, the vaccine is proven to lower your chances of getting the flu by up to 74%, according to a study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. To stay healthy this year, don’t put off getting vaccinated any longer. Here are the top five reasons why it’s so important to get the flu shot every year:
- Avoid Serious Illness: If you’ve gotten the flu before, you know how bad it can make you feel. But aside from a fever, stomach cramps, night sweats, head congestion, and other symptoms, the flu can cause more serious illnesses. In severe cases, the flu can lead to pneumonia, which can be especially harmful to young children and the elderly.
- Protects Pregnant Women & Babies: If you’re pregnant, getting the flu shot is exceptionally important. Since women are more susceptible to becoming sick during pregnancy, it’s essential they get the flu shot. Additionally, babies born to mothers who get the vaccine are about one-third less likely to get sick with the flu themselves in the four months after birth.
- Chronic Disease Prevention: Besides just preventing you from getting the flu, the influenza vaccination has been shown to reduce the chances of developing chronic health conditions. People who get the flu shot are at a lower risk for experiencing a cardiac event, and it also reduces the hospitalization rates among those with diabetes and lung disease.
- Protect Others: Not only is it important to get the flu shot to protect yourself, but getting vaccinated also helps keep others from getting sick. Furthermore, if you’re regularly around people who are more susceptible to becoming ill, like infants or those battling serious conditions, like cancer, you should always get vaccinated.
- Affordable & Convenient: If you’ve been putting off getting the flu shot because you don’t want to make an appointment with your doctor or because you don’t think you can afford it, know that you can head to any pharmacy, like Hart Pharmacy in Cincinnati, to get vaccinated. Additionally, most health insurance companies cover flu shots completely; if you have to pay out-of-pocket, the influenza vaccine costs only about $30.
Ready to get your flu shot? Stop by Hart Pharmacy next time you’re in the Cincinnati area for the vaccine. If you’d like to learn more about their pharmacy services, including prescription drug refills, visit Hart Pharmacy’s website or give them a call at (513) 471-1605.