Residents in and around the areas of LaCrosse and Eau Claire, WI can have top-notch barbecue just about anytime they want, thanks to the mouthwatering meals served up at the area’s best BBQ restaurant, Famous Dave’s. Of course, should you find that you just can’t get enough barbecue, you can always bring the smokehouse to your home.
If you’re feeling up for a fun DIY project that you’ll enjoy for years to come, follow these steps provided by Famous Dave’s for building your very own smokehouse:
- Choose Your Plan: You can find plans for a backyard smoker online, but because the scope of the project is fairly simple, it’s probably something you can draw up yourself. To help you envision your smokehouse, consider this: you’ll need the smoker itself, which should sit atop rows of cinder blocks, a separate firebox, and a pipe to push the smoke inwards.
- Build The Base: Start by structuring the aforementioned cinder block base, leaving an opening for your pipe to funnel smoke in. If it’s easier, you can leave the pipe inserted in the side of the base while you build it to get a snug fit.
- Construct The Body: The body of the smokehouse should sit atop the cinder blocks. A simple spindle and some hooks inside four walls will create a perfect environment for smoking meats. You can also install a door for the front of the smoker as well. Cedar is a great choice for the structure, as it has natural oils that prevent rotting.
- Make A Chimney: Don’t forget to include a chimney to expel the smoke that will be generated as you barbecue.
- Create Your Fire Box: Using brick, build a fire box that will connect to the smoke pipe. You can also install a door to the fire box, which should be closed during use.
It’s that simple! Once you’ve created your backyard smokehouse, you can enjoy top-notch barbecue both at Famous Dave’s and in the comfort of your own home! If you’re not up for the challenge right now, you can always have your next barbecue catered by Famous Dave’s—just call the La Crosse restaurant at (608) 779-4100 to learn more. For their Eau Claire location, call (715) 835-2227 or view their menu by visiting them online.