Since childhood, you were always told that too much candy is bad for your health. The odds are good that dental professional are still reminding you of that fact, especially as Halloween approaches. Four Corners Dental Group Fairbanks of Fairbanks, AK, wants to make sure you understand all the risks involved with eating too much of the sugary stuff.
Here are reasons to avoid eating too match candy:
- Candy Causes Cavities: The naturally occurring bacteria in your mouth feed on food residues that are left behind after eating candy. Bacteria then breaks down the tooth enamel and creates painful cavities that only worsen without fillings.
- Hard Candy Problems: Chewing hard candies may satisfy your desire to crunch on something. Unfortunately, very hard candy can chip teeth and lead to a true dental emergency to repair the broken teeth.
- Sticky Candy Complications: Sticky candy can get in the small spaces between teeth and remain there until it eventually dissolves in your saliva. This can take quite some time, though, and increases your risk for hidden cavities between your teeth.
- Vitamin And Mineral Deficiencies: If you eat a lot of candy, you may be too full for healthy foods with the vitamins and minerals you need. Save room for fresh fruits and vegetables with naturally occurring sugars for a nutritional treat.
- Alternatives To Candy: The American Dental Association (ADA) approves sugarless gums and promotes these with the ADA seal of approval. If you’re craving a bit of sweetness, you can choose from a large selection of flavors in sugar-free gum. The act of chewing gum after eating helps wash away food particles to prevent cavities.
Keep up to date on teeth cleaning, and skip the candy to avoid a future full of dentures. To make an appointment to see a dentist, call Four Corners Dental Group Fairbanks at (907) 479-7771 or visit their website to find out more.