Like any baby, a puppy requires certain preparations, vaccinations, and cleaning methods to keep it healthy and happy. The veterinarians at Waipahu Weikele Pet Hospital have amassed their collective pet care knowledge and distilled it into a step-by-step guide so you can keep your puppy at optimal health.
Here are their 6 vital puppy tips:
1) Initial Exam: That first exam is critical to give you an idea of your puppy’s overall health. The veterinarians at Waipahu Weikele perform both a physical exam and a fecal check to gather as much information as possible about potential congenital defects, intestinal parasites, and other pet health issues.
2) Vaccinations: Puppies require a series of vaccinations to prevent viruses like hepatitis and rabies. The timing and scheduling of vaccine combinations will differ slightly depending on state laws, your puppies age, and new research. It is important to check with your veterinarian to create a specific schedule.
3) Heartworm Prevention: The only way to make sure that your puppy stays heartworm-free is to keep up with its heart worm medication once a month.
4) Flea/Tick Control: No dog should have to suffer the effects of tapeworm or Lyme disease. Bathe your puppy regularly to reduce its risk of getting these infections and consider using a once-a-month preventative medication. If your pet is outside often, spray your yard with an anti-flea/tick treatment.
5) Obedience/Socialization: Animal behaviorists believe that behaviors are formed during the first few months of life so be sure to begin training as early as possible. If you touch your puppy’s feet, ears, and teeth on a regular basis, it will make grooming and medicating much easier.
6) Feeding Schedule: Feed your puppy at regular times and take away leftovers after 10-15 minutes. A regular feeding schedule will teach your puppy to eat efficiently and discourage pickiness. Your pet will need different food depending on its size and age. Contact your Waipahu Weikele veterinarian for a recommendation.
The passionate veterinarians at Waipahu Weikele Pet Hospital take your new puppy’s health as seriously as you do. That’s why there is always a veterinarian on-site 24 hours a day in case of emergency. Visit them online or contact them at (808) 671-7387 to schedule your puppy’s initial physical exam and fecal check.