When you need a new amp, it might seem like all you have to do is make sure it works when you plug your guitar into it. However, that could lead to serious disappointment the next time you are ready to play your instrument. Absolute Music wants everyone who visits their store in Dayton, OH, to be fully satisfied with the musical equipment they leave with.
To guarantee you receive the best amp for your money, here are a few things you should consider:
- Bring Your Guitar: Never purchase an amp that you have not tried out with your own instrument. Even a similar model at the store does not compare to the uniqueness of your guitar and could produce sounds that are brighter or duller. This could cause a lot of regret when you get the amp home.
- Choose A Size For Your Playing Needs: If you require an amp for home recording, a 10-watt combo is usually the ideal size. However, if you are in need of an amp for live events, you will need at least 30 watts, and if you are playing out often, try to pick one with at least 15 watts of tube tone.
- Test Distortion: Unfortunately, many players will overlook the power amp when trying out a new amp; however, the power amp, the preamp, and the speakers are all important to generate distortion. To test the power amp, turn the master volume high up before turning it down again. The resulting sound should be crisp.
- Check For Buzz: To ensure the amp will not put out a buzzy tone while you are onstage, you will need to test the preamp controls. Check this by turning down the preamp controls and cranking up the master volume on the amp to your normal output level. Then slowly increase the preamp controls until the sound becomes as distorted as you want.
- Dial In Tones: Check if you can quickly and easily dial in sounds that you prefer. Adjust each tone control and pay attention to how they interact with one another. This will let you know if it is too hard to dial in a tone on the amp, which will probably not improve once you get the amp home.
To learn more about buying the best amp, stop by Absolute Music in Dayton today or call them at (937) 878-0123. You can also visit them online to see their current selection of amps. For regular updates and offers, be sure to like them on Facebook.