Just because the holiday season is among us, is no reason why you need to let yourself go until the end of the year. Enjoy yourself and splurge a little bit, but remember you do not have to dive fork first right into the pie. Mind Over Matter Health & Fitness hopes you all have a fantastic holiday season, but to make sure you do not end up feeling guilty, here are a few tips to close out 2011 feeling great.
Did you know that the average American gains 7 to 10 pounds over holidays?
In New York City, as well as every other place in the U.S., the holiday season is generally book-ended from Thanksgiving to New Year’s Day. Throw in holiday parties and Christmas feasts and the amount of food and alcohol consumed during this period of time is always up for scrutiny and debate. A report from the Texas Medical Association stated that “the average American gains 8 pounds during the period from Thanksgiving to New Year's Day."
Here are 8 ways to reverse those 8 pounds.
- Schedule your workouts in advance and treat them as if they were any other appointment.
- Limit your food intake. Once you fill up your plate, move as far away from the table as possible to avoid temptation.
- Take a walk! It is beautiful outside during the holidays! Go down the street or around the block. A 165 lb. woman walking for 30 minutes will burn approximately 187 calories.
- One gram of alcohol contains seven calories. Just because you are off the next day does not mean you have to get "sauced."
- Consult a Mind Over Matter fitness professional. They often have easy and efficient ways to help you through this time.
- If you are hosting a party, offer some healthy alternatives. People still do eat salad.
- At the party try using your mouth for socializing rather than just eating, you’ll cut down on your food intake.
- Exercise at Home. A Mind Over Matter staple: It’s convenient, comfortable, and efficient.
From everyone at Mind Over Matter Health & Fitness, feel good and have a healthy and happy holiday party season. Contact them about In-Home Personal Training, Yoga, Pilates, Boot Camp, Prenatal/Postpartum fitness and Bridal Packages. Plus, brand new to Mind Over Matter In-Home Massage!