When’s the last time you had your furnace inspected? According to the experts at Apple Oil in West Haven, CT, your oil heat system should be serviced annually to detect any problems that could lead to an unforeseen accident, increase in utility costs, or the need for costly repairs. While you’ll need to schedule an appointment with a professional, there are a few things you should look out for in case there’s a larger issue at hand.
Here are some signs you may need a new oil heat system:
- Old Age: The average life expectancy for an oil heat system is approximately 15 to 20 years. While there’s always an exception, it’s best to prepare yourself for a replacement if your furnace is reaching old age.
- Strange Sounds: Whether your furnace has to run on overdrive to keep your home warm or you’ve been hearing loud noises while it’s in use, there’s a good chance that your oil heat system needs to be repaired or replaced.
- Decreased Comfort: If you had issues keeping your home warm last winter, you should consider replacing your furnace this fall. An inefficient oil heat system will use more energy to run without doing its job.
- Expensive Energy Bills: A recent increase in your utility costs is another tell-tale sign something is wrong with your furnace. There may be a leak, or it could be time to upgrade to an energy efficient model.
- Health Problems: In a worst-case scenario, a dysfunctional oil heating system can leak carbon monoxide into your home, thus creating serious health issues or even death.
If you suspect something is wrong with your oil heating system, it’s best to contact a professional for an inspection. To schedule an appointment, call Apple Oil at (203) 934-3835 or visit the website. You can also stay up-to-date on social media by liking them on Facebook or following them on Twitter.