Financial District, New York
28 Liberty Street, 6th Floor
New York, NY 10005
(212) 461-7152

Immigration Lawyers Announce New USCIS Rules September 16, 2016

Financial District, Manhattan
Immigration Lawyers Announce New USCIS Rules, Manhattan, New York

To promote family unity and decrease the hardship of separation for U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents (LPRs), United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) recently announced a final rule change that would expand the provisional waiver process to include a wider range of relatives. As the NYC immigration attorneys at Berd & Klauss, PLLC explain, this rule, which went into effect on August 29, 2016, builds on earlier efforts to make the immigrant visa process easier for certain individuals to navigate.

immigration attorneyUnder the previous rules, only some immediate family members could apply for a provisional unlawful presence waiver before leaving the country to begin the immigration process. The new rule, however, modifies the original process to include everyone who is statutorily eligible and who can prove a prolonged separation would present a “severe hardship” for the resident spouse or immediate family member.

While applicants must still leave the country, this waiver process removes some of the obstacles to obtaining a visa and being reunited with family members while increasing the efficiency of the administration. To accommodate this change, USCIS also issued an updated Form I-601a, which is currently available here.

If you were ineligible for a provisional unlawful presence waiver, you may be able to apply again under the new regulations. Berd & Klauss, PLLC's respected immigration attorneys pride themselves on staying up to date on USCIS's constantly changing rules and regulations, giving them the ability to provide high-quality services in almost any situation. Visit their website to learn more about their reputation for expertise and broad range of services, or schedule your consultation with a skilled immigration attorney by calling (212) 461-7152 today.

Other Announcements, Events and Deals from Berd & Klauss, PLLC
4 FAQs About Street Encounters with Police, Manhattan, New York
Many undocumented immigrants don’t fully understand their constitutional rights and worry that any interaction with the police will lead to deportation. Fortunately, this is not more
4 Questions to Ask Before Hiring an Immigration Attorney, Manhattan, New York
The U.S. immigration system is notoriously complex, with confusing requirements and guidelines that seem to change constantly. Whether you’re applying for a visa or hoping to become more
4 FAQ About Expiring Green Cards , Manhattan, New York
Individuals with a permanent resident alien status are allowed to stay in the United States indefinitely, but the identifying documents issued by USCIS do expire. Fortunately, an more
4 Essential Steps in Consular Processing, Manhattan, New York
Immigrants with a valid basis for applying for permanent residency may do so from their home countries through their local U.S. Department of State consulate. This application more
Data Entry Complete for FY2020 Cap-Subject H-1B Petitions, Manhattan, New York
On May 17, USCIS announced that it completed a crucial step toward processing cap-subject H-1B petitions for the 2020 fiscal year. In the coming weeks, immigration law officials more