Regular visits to the dentist are an essential part of good oral health. Mark Stephens DMD, based in Richmond, KY, offers a range of preventative dental care services as well as Invisalign, teeth whitening, and wisdom teeth extraction.
In addition to regular visits to the dentist, there are times when you may require attention. Here are the red flags to watch for with regards to your oral health and when it may be necessary to visit your dentist’s office:
- Bleeding Gums: If your gums bleed after brushing or while eating, you may be dealing with gingivitis or periodontal disease. Both could lead to more serious problems down the road, including infection or even tooth loss.
- Sensitivity: If you find that your teeth hurt when you eat ice cream or drink tea, you’re dealing with discomfort that can be alleviated. Sensitivity may be due to a cavity or a loose filling.
- Dry Mouth: Dry mouth is occasionally due medication, but it can also be a symptom of some conditions. Your dentist can perform an examination and suggest subsequent steps if they determine that dry mouth may be due to a condition such as diabetes.
- Bad Breath: Bad breath might be caused by periodontal disease or excessive plaque buildup. Mouthwash is a temporary fix that may actually be concealing a more serious issue.
- Toothache: A basic toothache could be due to anything from sore gums to cavities to an abscess. If your pain lasts longer than a day, schedule an appointment with your dentist to determine the root of the problem.
If you’re dealing with any of these oral health issues, it may be time for an emergency dentist visit. Whether you’re interested an Invisalign consultation or are suffering from tooth pain, the team at Mark Stephens DMD can help. Visit the family dentistry office’s website, or give them a call at (859) 626-0069.