Your septic system does a lot to keep your plumbing functioning well. It filters drain water and waste from your sinks, toilets, tubs, and showers into a large tank that breaks it all down, and the remaining water flows into a drain field. Depending on the amount of use it gets, your septic tank needs to be pumped only once every 3-5 years.
While it usually requires very little maintenance, the experts at Hemley’s Septic Tank Cleaning in Gig Harbor, WA, want you to know important warning signs of a septic drain field that needs repair:
- Pooling Water: Problems with your drain field can have a negative effect on your yard. Pooling water indicates an issue with the septic drain field pipes or the tank itself. It can be caused by having a full septic tank or a clog in the drain field pipes.
- Unhealthy Grass: Leaks in your septic system can cause waste to seep into the grass, which can result in an unsightly yard. If your grass isn’t green and healthy, you should consider having your drain field serviced.
- Slow Drainage: Water always should be flowing smoothly through the drains in your home. If you notice slow drainage in your sinks, toilets, tubs, and showers, your septic drainage field could need service.
- The Stench: When your septic system needs to be serviced, it often is most noticeable by the awful smell coming from your yard. The odor becomes more potent as the septic tank becomes fuller.
- Sewage Backup: If your septic tank is too full and the drain field is overloaded, sewage can flow back through the pipes leading into your home. This will cause black, smelly sludge to rise into your household plumbing fixtures.
Avoid a septic drain field disaster by contacting Hemley’s Septic Tank Cleaning. For over 50 years, they have been providing high-quality septic system services to homes and businesses in Pierce, Kitsap, and Mason counties. In case of a septic emergency, Hemley’s Septic Tank Cleaning is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To schedule a septic tank pumping or drain field services, call (800) 699-7854 or contact them online.