Although actress Melissa McCarthy was very amusing in the 2013 movie Identity Thief, anyone who has been hit by the harsh reality of identity theft knows that it is no laughing matter. Maxed out credit cards, empty bank accounts, and new accounts opened in your name are very real threats to your financial safety. With identity theft becoming a growing concern, it is important to protect your personal and business finances. Mark's Bookkeeping Services in the Flatiron District is a valuable resource for learning the specifics of the financial world, including helpful reminders on how to protect against identity theft.
Here are a few tips everyone should utilize:
- The next time you order checks, have them printed with just your initials instead of your whole name. If stolen, the perpetrator won't know if you sign your checks with your whole first name, or just with your initials.
- Use your work phone number instead of your home phone number for more security.
- Use your P.O. Box or work address instead of your street address. This makes it harder for criminals to find out where you live and start tracing your accounts.
- Make copies of both sides of whatever credit cards/licenses are in your wallet. Keep these print-out copies at home in a safe place. If your wallet is ever stolen, you will know what was inside and be able to call the right numbers to cancel your cards.
- Make a copy of your passport when you travel, and keep it at home in a secure place.
With identity theft on the rise, business owners and residents must take proper precaution. Learn more about how to protect against identity theft, visit Mark's Bookkeeping Services. You can also call this Flatiron accounting firm at (212) 243-5757 to find out about the wide variety of other bookkeeping and accounting services they offer.