The term “wisdom tooth” refers to any of the third molars. Since wisdom teeth tend to come in at an angle, potentially damaging other teeth, it is common to have them removed between the ages of 17 and 25. Drs. Kamdar and Awad of Preferred Dental Care Chelsea have extensive experience performing wisdom tooth extractions for clients in New York City. The procedure itself is quick and painless, thanks to local and general anesthetics. However, a recovery period lasting several days can include symptoms such as pain and swelling.
Take a look at the following tips for post-dental surgery care and help yourself to a quick recovery:
- Avoid Strenuous Activity: Since you may need stitches after surgery, it’s important to stray from any activity that can cause the stitches to dislodge.
- Drink Plenty of Water: Consuming caffeinated, carbonated or alcoholic beverages can hinder the healing process. It’s also important to avoid drinking from a straw, as the sucking action can displace your stitches.
- Stick to Soft Foods: Snacks such as yogurt, applesauce, and gelatin should be consumed for the first 24 hours. Once your tolerance improves, you can gradually move towards more semi-soft foods.
- Use Gauze For Bleeding: Bleeding is a common side effect, especially immediately following dental surgery. Keep the gauze applied for 30 minutes immediately following surgery. If bleeding returns, use fresh gauze as directed by your dentists.
- Elevate Your Head: Sleeping in an elevated position will help decrease swelling. Try using at least two additional pillows for comfort during the healing process.
To learn about additional dental services, such as dental implants and teeth whitening, call Preferred Dental Care at (212) 594-7171.