For families in the Mount Pleasant, SC, area, owning a beach house is the ultimate dream. But according to the realtors at EXIT Realty of the Carolinas, purchasing a home on the beach can be much different than buying a more traditional one, and there’s a lot to look out for when making your selection.
To see what families look for most in a beach house, take a look at these top six must-haves:
- Location & Accessibility: If you’re buying a house at the beach, you’re surely going to want easy access to the water and other nearby coastal town activities. If you can’t afford a house right on the water, look for one that offers a quick walk or drive. You’ll also want to consider its distance from shops, restaurants, and grocery stores.
- View: Who doesn’t want a beautiful ocean view to wake up to in the morning? When house hunting for beach properties, remember to take a peek out each of its windows. If you’re looking for more expansive views, consider a beach home up on a hill.
- Price: Beach homes can come with a hefty price tag, so carefully analyze your budget before you start shopping. Beach front homes or ones with a view are generally more expensive, so to save money, consider looking at homes that are located in communities near the water instead of directly on the beach.
- Rental Ability: If you’re not planning to live in your beach house full-time, you may be interested in renting it out for an income. Not all beach homes are ideal rentals, so work with your realtor to find one that offers the most potential to vacationers. Consider buying a beach house in a well-planned out coastal community that offers amenities other than just the sand, like shopping centers and boat rentals.
- Safety: While breathtaking views can cause you to overlook details of a home, remember to do your due diligence when viewing beach properties. Make sure it’s located in a safe community, and always have a home inspection completed to make sure the structure is in good condition. You’ll also want to make sure it meets hurricane building codes.
- Style: Beach homes come in all shapes and styles, from small, chic cottages to large, lavish three-story houses, so choose the one that best meets your style preferences.
For more on these tips, or if you’re in need of assistance shopping beach homes in the Mount Pleasant, SC area, call EXIT Realty of the Carolinas’ realtors at (843) 343-3947, and visit their website.