If you have a little one who attends a pre-K program, you expect them to obtain a strong educational foundation to help prepare them for elementary school. But did you know playtime in preschool is just as important for their development? Crayon Box Preschool in Flushing, NY, says play is an important factor in a child’s overall growth and progression that can sometimes be overlooked by parents and even some educators.
Here’s a look at why playtime is an important piece of the curriculum in any pre-K program:
- Develops Senses: Through playtime, children are able to develop and explore their senses. From the time they are babies, children learn about the world around them through touching, hearing, seeing, and smelling.
- Promotes Teamwork: Playing isn’t just for fun; it helps children develop strong relationship skills. Through play, they’ll have to learn to share, take turns, and work together with other children. Playing with others sets the foundation for good teamwork skills they’ll use later in life.
- Encourages Communication: While playing with others, children practice their communication skills. From babbling to themselves before they even know how to talk to practicing their vocabulary while sharing a toy with friends, playing offers great opportunity for language development.
- Enhances Physical Coordination: Playtime encourages children to practice their coordination skills. Whether it be a game of pat-a-cake or playing catch, it helps to develop their hand-eye coordination and physical control skills.
- Encourages Exploration: Playing allows children to explore and investigate to better understand the world around them. Using their senses and past experiences, children discover and learn how things work. They also better understand the principle of cause and effect. For example, children learn that by shaking a rattle, a sound will occur.
There’s no doubt that different types of play — including manipulative, dramatic, physical, and imaginary — fosters cognitive, emotional, and physical development. It’s important to always seek out a pre-K program for your children that offers plenty of structured playtime and an introduction to a variety of fun learning activities.
If you’d like to learn more about how play impacts child development, contact Crayon Box Preschool at (718) 888-9341. For more information about the pre-K programs and other classes they offer, be sure to also visit the Flushing learning center online.