When choosing hardware to install on your entry door, there are a few things to keep in mind for both functionality and safety. Murphy Home Improvement in Cincinnati knows the value in having both an aesthetically-pleasing entryway and a door that makes homeowners feel secure in their dwellings.
Here, they give a few tips for deciding which hardware to install on your entry door and how to choose the best setup for your home:
- Safety Features: Reliable locks that provide safety are your first priority when it comes to entry door hardware. The lock doesn’t have to be high tech or fancy to maintain safety, although there are many keyless electronic options on the market today. A simple single cylinder dead bolt with a key is a traditional option that will provide strong security.
- Latches: Your doorknob and handle are just as important as any lock. Although they may not keep out unwanted guests like a deadbolt, doorknobs and handles that latch properly are important for privacy and keeping the door functioning properly. A door must catch correctly, so maintaining a good latch is key.
- Plates & Stoppers: Besides latches and locks, other functional elements that are necessary are kick plates and door stoppers. Besides adding an aesthetic element, these items also protect walls from getting damaged. Other decorative, but functional items are door knockers and hooks. They can serve a functional purpose, but also enhance the look of your entry way.
- Aesthetic: Your entry doors are the first thing guests see, making them not only functional components but also decorative elements to the overall look of your property. There are many options and materials for doorknobs available, such as glass knobs or brass. Finding the right accents and styles for your taste will make your entryway perfect for your home’s look.
- Proper Maintenance: Keeping your hardware in working order is also critical. Never leave locks broken and be sure to keep the door’s movement in proper working order. Doors shouldn’t drag and hinges should remain lubricated to avoid squeaking.
For more than 30 years, Murphy Home Improvement has been Cincinnati’s top home improvement company, specializing in roofing and siding, as well as window and door installation. Always using high quality brands and products, the team boasts fully insured professionals ready to tackle any size project. Visit their website or call (513) 922-8989 today to get started on improving your home today.