Even with proper dental care, your teeth are susceptible to unsightly stains and decay. To avoid this, you should factor your oral health into your day-to-day diet. Luckily, Brooklyn’s best dentist, 21st Century Dental, provides the vital care and education you need for a bright, beautiful smile for life.
Your oral health is linked to your general health, and your diet is an excellent example of this. To keep your teeth strong and white, here are a few of the top damaging foods and drinks to avoid or limit:
- Candy: Both your primary doctor and your dentist agree on this one: limit your candy consumption. Not only is the high sugar content bad for your overall health, it can quickly erode your teeth, leading to cavities, root canals, and other issues.
- Citrus: While a spritz of lemon in your drink may taste great, the frequent consumption of citrus foods like lemons, limes, and oranges can soften the tooth enamel, leaving your teeth more susceptible to decay.
- Coffee & Tea: Many people take their coffee and tea with sugar, which is a leading source of tooth decay. Even if you drink it black, though, these beverages can cause staining. Try to limit your consumption of these caffeinated drinks, and drink plenty of water after consuming them.
- Soda & Juice: Soda and juice take a detrimental toll on your teeth akin to that of candy. Sports drinks, bottled iced teas, and many other beverages may also be hiding high quantities of damaging sugar.
- Crunchy Foods: Potato chips taste amazing. However, they’re also full of starch, which can get trapped in your teeth and wreak havoc on your oral health. After munching on some pretzels or crackers, be sure to floss thoroughly.
- Alcohol: Everyone knows wine stains your teeth. The frequent consumption of alcohol can also lead to dehydration and dry mouth, which could result in issues like tooth decay and gum disease.
Proper nutrition, in addition to excellent oral hygiene habits and regular visits to the dentist, will help keep your teeth strong and healthy for years to come. For the best dentist in Brooklyn, look no further than 21st Century Dental. With their wide variety of general and cosmetic dentistry services, including teeth whitening, root canals, and more, they have everything your smile needs to shine. To schedule an appointment, contact a friendly professional today at (718) 241-1203. For more information, visit the practice’s website.