Most people want a brighter smile, but teeth whitening services—as helpful as they are—can be costly. If you can’t quite afford cosmetic dental services or veneers but would still like whiter teeth, there are foods you can eat that might move the process along. North Pole, AK’s best family dentists, the team at North Pole Dental Workshop, are here to tell you how you can eat your way to a whiter, brighter smile.
Here are foods that will help with teeth whitening:
- Dairy Products: Yogurt, milk, and cheese are sources of both lactic acid and calcium, which keep teeth strong and prevent decay. Yogurt’s proteins adhere to teeth and keep harmful acids from causing cavities and discoloring. Hard cheeses also remove food particles, thus cleaning your teeth while you eat.
- Strawberries: Strawberries contain large amounts of malic acid, which has astringent-like properties that can actually remove discoloration from your teeth and help with teeth whitening.
- Celery & Carrots: Thanks to their extra-crunchy texture, these vegetables increase your saliva production as you eat them. The saliva in turn acts as a self-cleaner for your teeth. It can also destroy bacteria that causes halitosis, or bad breath.
- Pineapple: The bromelain in pineapple is a compound that contains cleansing agents and has anti-inflammatory benefits. In fact, it can even be found in some stain-removing toothpastes! Take it in edible form instead by chowing down on some pineapple as part of your breakfast or as a snack.
- Broccoli: It may not be everyone’s favorite vegetable, but there’s no denying that broccoli, especially when eaten raw, has a crisp bite that will help polish your teeth. Also, broccoli contains iron, which acts as a protective guard between your teeth and enamel-eroding bacteria that produce stains.
For even more foods that will help with teeth whitening or to learn more about how you can get a brighter set of pearly whites, contact the team at North Pole Dental Workshop by calling (907) 490-4650. You can also visit their website to view a full list of their affordable dental services.