Car shocks are part of a vehicle’s suspension system, and it’s important to know what to look for when repair or replacement is required. Shock repair is one of many outstanding suspension repair services available through Frecks & Sons’ Automotive, a premier Saint Peters, MO, automotive repair and maintenance shop.
Your vehicle’s suspension system absorbs bumps in the road to provide a pleasant driving experience. It allows the tires and brakes to work as they should to keep you and your passengers safe. Here are the many components that work together to give you a smooth ride:
- Springs: Most vehicles have four springs that soak up bumps and get the tire back in contact with the road quickly. They’re usually designed to last as long as your vehicle does.
- Ball Joints & Spindle: Ball joints connect to the spindle via control arms. They allow the suspension system to move up and down in conjunction with the road. The spindle is the rotating center point for the wheel and rotor.
- Shocks: Car shocks reduce oscillation. They use fluid and internal passages to dampen the springs and control movement. Shocks degrade, leak fluid, or sustain valve damage over time.
- Struts: Struts combine springs and shocks into one unit. The McPherson strut is a more advanced version that also functions as the suspension system’s upper pivot point.
- Sway Bar: The sway or roll bar counteracts forces that roll your car to the outside of a turn. This keeps the inside wheel connected with the ground.
Have these components inspected by your Saint Peters automotive team at each oil change to keep your vehicle in excellent driving condition. Schedule an oil change, car shock repair, engine repair, or other service available through Frecks & Sons’ Automotive by calling (636) 928-5326 or visiting the website today.